Allison-equipped, natural gas-fuelled trucks show big fuel savings and low-maintenance benefits in European capital cities
15th January 2018
0

Recently-delivered LNG-fuelled trucks for Paris City Hall and natural gas-fuelled trucks for Transnugon in Madrid and Valencia are showing real-world advantages

By switching trucks to clean energy sources rather than diesel, and by using fully automatic Allison transmissions rather than automated manual transmissions (AMTs), fleet operators in two European capital cities are meeting sustainability commitments at the same time as reducing fuel consumption by up to 17 percent.

In France, the publicly-financed vehicle fleet of Paris City Hall – which since 2014 has halted the purchase of diesel vehicles as a matter of ecological policy – has begun taking deliveries of 11 new heavy goods vehicles and utilities vehicles with Allison transmissions and powered by natural gas.

In Spain, the Transnugon transportation company has acquired seven trucks in Madrid and two more trucks in Valencia which are Allison-equipped and powered by liquefied natural gas (LNG).

Both fleet operators report that their new Allison-equipped vehicles are delivering significant improvements in fuel economy, driving responsiveness, and reliability. Paris City Hall is able to make this comparison from a total fleet of 100 trucks, ranging from 16 to 44 tons, and Transnugon makes the comparison from a 225-vehicle fleet of tractor-trailers and rigid trucks.

Transnugon’s latest acquisition comprises two Scania trucks and seven Iveco Stralis trucks of 18 and 26 tons, with two and three axles. Transnugon’s Managing Director, Pablo Bordils, said: “We can confirm that the Allison gearbox affords very significant fuel savings on low-speed routes with frequent stops, which are typical of urban and interurban transport. If we add this 7 percent saving to the 10 percent reduction in fuel consumption associated with the use of LNG, we are talking about a total reduction of 17 percent compared to diesel vehicles with an AMT.”

Bordils adds that greater durability is another advantage of the fully automatic transmissions, commenting: “I have yet to witness an Allison gearbox failure.”

At Paris City Hall, the 11 natural gas-powered additions to the fleet consist of two Iveco Eurocargo vehicles, two Iveco Stralis tractors and seven Renault models from the D Wide range. They transport a wide range of items for various departments, including logs felled by woodcutters in the parks, paving stones, school equipment, documents and more.

Hervé Foucard, Head of the Transportation Fleet, said: “In association with natural gas engines, the automatic transmissions optimise the performance of the vehicles, and our drivers enjoy the exceptional driving ease of vehicles with Allison automatics. In terms of maintenance expenses, the trucks need less because the engines suffer less [wear and tear] in use. That’s essential to deal with our workload. With automatic transmissions we benefit from an operational availability [of the trucks] that is not subject to risk.”

When combined with an Allison transmission, natural gas engines are more responsive. Allison’s patented torque converter multiplies engine torque to significantly improve startability and launch. When compared to manual transmissions and AMTs, this Continuous Power Technology™ enables more responsive acceleration, higher productivity and greater efficiency, maximising the benefits of a natural gas engine.

Image – Early this year, Iveco and Renault were selected to supply natural gas-powered gantry crane trucks, hook loaders, crane winch trucks, gantry trucks and bucket trucks. The 11 new additions – all equipped with Allison Automatics – consist of two Iveco Eurocargo vehicles, two Iveco Stralis tractors and seven Renault models from the D Wide range.

Image – Combining a clean source of energy with fully automatic Allison transmissions has proven to be the perfect combination for Transnugon. The transport company’s Scania trucks liquefied natural gas (LNG) trucks with Allison Automatics save up to 7 percent more fuel than fleet vehicles with automated manual transmissions (AMTs).

Image – “We can confirm that the Allison gearbox affords very significant fuel savings on low-speed routes with frequent stops, which are typical of urban and interurban transport,” said Pablo Bordils, Transnugon director. “If we add this 7 percent savings to the 10 percent reduction in fuel consumption associated with the use of LNG, we are talking about a total reduction of 17 percent in comparison to diesel vehicles with an AMT in short routes.”

Image – The LNG Scania truck working in Valencia, Spain.

Image – Thanks to Allison’s Continuous Power Technology™, engine torque is multiplied, enabling more responsive acceleration, higher productivity and greater efficiency – which maximise the benefits of a natural gas engine.

About Allison Transmission

Allison Transmission (NYSE: ALSN) is the world’s largest manufacturer of fully automatic transmissions for medium- and heavy-duty commercial vehicles and is a leader in hybrid-propulsion systems for city buses. Allison transmissions are used in a variety of applications including refuse, construction, fire, distribution, bus, motorhomes, defense and energy. Founded in 1915, the company is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA and employs approximately 2,600 people worldwide. With a market presence in more than 80 countries, Allison has regional headquarters in the Netherlands, China and Brazil with manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Hungary and India. Allison also has approximately 1,400 independent distributor and dealer locations worldwide. For more information, visit allisontransmission.com